I pulled the trigger and ordered a new MacBook Pro, vs a Mac Pro today. The differences will be:
- Slightly slower hard disk (5400rpm vs 7200rpm)
- Larger hard disk (160 over 100). I can now store my music and photos internally, and update to a larger/faster drive later.
- LCD backlit screen – uses less power, more uniform lighting
- Faster CPU – From 2.1ghz Core Duo to 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo
- Faster video – The nVidia chipset sounds nice
- Same RAM, 2gb, more potential. Apple is shippig with 667 RAM, vs the 800 the FSB can support, but crucial.com has the 800 ram for $539 for 2x2gb. Later I can double the RAM and get better performance to boot (and keep my old ram)
- FW 800 port added
Should be here within a week.